While I was talking about this with Samson in I3, I was thinking about the settings, because of something he said.
When I was getting the cores, name, short, and long we all set to namegen, but desc wasn't. I went and added namegen as the desc, and lo and behold, it works!
Having said that, if I try to use "namegen" as a string within other words in the short, long, or desc, it doesn't get parsed; Only if it's the sole word in any of those fields. It's hard to test it properly right now because of the proto bug.
Which I'd like to proudly mention I found and I absolutely didn't break it this time!!!
Once I get that bug patched, I'll try different combinations.
As far as debugging is concerned, what I know about compilers and c and the like is nil But if there's easy ways to grab the info you're looking for, just send me an idiot's guide, and I can send you back a paste of the results.
And yes, the problem with namegen did occur with namegen_gr instead of namegen. Damn, but I like that themed random names idea!