A little opinion from the newbie Admin.
I'm not a programmer by any means so I can't comment on the ins and outs of the code, or the 'mechanics' as you guys can. I also can't compare it to a lot of different code bases but I can comment on what I like (and don't like) about Smaug and what I haven't seen in other codes.
I went from a CircleMud to a Smaug mud and the very first thing I noticed, and what hooked me, was the colour. Seriously. My friend thinks it's 'too much' colour but the plus here is it's player programmable. Great feature.
(I should point out this is from an LoP perspective, as Remcon has done some wonderful additions to Smaug.)
I also like;
- the OLC (although I do prefer to build offline but can't anymore with FUSS/LOP.) It's simple enough to use and requires little training.
- easy online creation of virtually everything - commands, skill/spells, deities, races, classes, clans, councils
- full online admin control - such as multiplay limits, addition of and control of multiclassing, experience multiplier, important rooms, autosaving, channels
- the fact that it doesn't
have 'rent' and you can quit anywhere and return in that spot
- aquest code
- player configurable options - autoloot, autosac (even just sacrificing itself I've never seen before) hints, compass, sparing, noinduct
- solo code
- code is easy for a newbie to learn/understand/modify - yep, even me.
- combat system is a little ... sluggish
- weather system is nice, but has no player impact
- there's another long thread here about effects needing a good overhaul
That's all I can think of for now.