This is a shot in the dark, I know, but this is "smaugmuds.org", not "smaugcode.org", so I may as well post this here.
I'd like to find a mud. I'm hoping one of you administers or knows of a mud that meets some or all of these requirements. I realize in advance that I'm incredibly picky and have pretty nearly next to no chance whatsoever of finding a mud that meets even a few of these requirements.
I am primarily a "Killer" by disposition, so no-pkill or overly restricted pkill is a dealbreaker. On the whole I'm not really a fan of "restricted pkill" if that means that it gets me into trouble with immortals if I kill someone. Player enforced laws would be perfectly acceptable (my preference, actually). I'd prefer enforced roleplay, but I wouldn't mind a mud to randomly pkill on if that's all I can find, although rampant pk is not my particular preference.
I would also prefer permadeath (ideally where it isn't necessary to permakill people in order to get kills/loot/etc) or at least a system that doesn't involve 30,000 corpses being dropped every combat round.
I might be willing to overlook a few of the following.
A list of things that disqualify a mud for me:
- having multiple alts logged in
- dropping things for alts
- giving things to ld alts
- a constant reliance on potions or items (See: Every mud I've ever played)
- constant quaffing of heals
- constant need for skills/spells/affects I can't make myself (sanctuary, eldritch sphere)
- character advancement wholly based on item-gathering
- rote/grinding leveling
- constant need to amass items (potions, armor, weapons, etc)
- having to roll until my character is 30 years old to get decent stats
- corpse retrieval (it gets really old)
- "gotchas" (things that are nonintuitive that needlessly increase rote/grind or learning curve)
- e.g., having to max con at level or permenantly gimping your char
- other "at level" requirements that permanently alter your character
- having to have affects like truesight or risk something like a non-recoverable blind
- statnames (worst idea ever)
- X race, Y class is the most powerful (and therefore the only sensibly-useful) combination
- stats, all (or as many as possible) should be equally useful.
- forced reliance on others
- being more or less "unable" to advance without a group (I'm not very social)
- having to ask for help for things like corpse retrieval (See also: rote/grind)
- twitch mechanics (I might overlook this objection)
- while having to react instantly to avert death can be intense, a round of lag resulting in death isn't fun for me whether I'm the victim or victor.
- irritation as a cheap substitute for difficulty
I'm not rewards-driven, so having to spend 95% of my time preparing for 5% of enjoyment is a world of unacceptable. The ratio should be a minimum of 50/50, or at least closer to the 75/25 range.
Anyway, if I am out of luck as I suspect, informing me of this will save me the time I'd otherwise spend clicking through the links in random signatures looking for a mud.
Another note: I tend to like Smaug at the low end of its power levels before the excessive hr/dr break everything. Some of the most fun I've had on smaug has been goofing off on lower level characters with fairly crappy equipment (20ish dr) and pking without potions (I may have used sanctuary, I forget). The sleep healing rate is a bit low, though.
I'm toying with the idea of putting together a pk mud or possibly running a series of "campaigns" if I can't find anything, since it'll be a long time before I have a mud I'm particularly happy running as a wholistic mud (i.e., enforced rp, permadeath, all named mobs are quest mobs and don't reset, etc, etc, etc)
Maybe I should just find an RPI mud to play or something instead.