Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!
Well, we made it, the Mayans didn't predict the end of the world, and it's that time of year again, and given that I'm going to be extremely busy the next week and a half with holiday stuff, and other projects, I'd like to take the time out now to wish you all a happy holiday season, and a happy new year from all of us here at SmaugMuds.org.
Announcing GitHub Access
So for those that pay attention, I've been referencing a possible new distribution method for a while, well, I finally bent it to my will, and I almost have all the kinks worked out.
I'm still in the testing phase to make sure the various things don't choke on .gitignore files, but for those that would like to grab a copy and help me test it, you can get SmaugFUSS from https://github.com/InfiniteAxis/SmaugFUSS.
Thanks to Quixadhal, we have a complete background fromSmaug 1.4a to the current version of 1.9 that I've gotten all the GCC 4.6 changes update in, as well as the bugs off the forums. Soon as I'm sure that there are no hidden traps from the update, I'll start pushing tarballs from github into the repository here for quick and easy access for everyone.
Good news, and Meh news
So, Good news first, I have updates ready to go for all three bases, and I found a way to make a popular distribution system work for us.
Soon enough, I'll be unveiling a new way to grab copies of the bases, and stay up to date. Hopefully now that life has started to calm down again for me, at least for a while yet, I'll once again be able to push new updates for the bases on a more frequent and regular basis.
Now, the meh news. I've gotta learn how to make this thing do what I want, and get it to do what it needs to, and work out any kinks arising from this switch. I'm hoping to be able to push things along by the end of this week, preferably sooner, but life happens, and I have a two year old.
Many of you may have noticed that the site has been unavailable for a while. That's because my server was the target of a brute force assault, and attempted conversion into a phishing scam. I've managed to restore a backup from before the incident and will be moving things around to a new server build soon.
Several posts may have been lost due to the need to restore to a backup that is several days old.
[Update:] I managed to get everything transferred over to the new server, and everything appears to be working smoothly again.
Okay, I am still alive, and I am working on updates, but I'm holding off on releasing them because of a possible new distribution method, so keep an eye out and look for more information